Monday, 7 December 2009

Last two samples from October.

These are the remaining samples from last month's theme which was using materials which distorted when heated.
The first sample is a montage of some of the techniques I experimented with - what I really mean is that these are the bits I had left over which I didn't want to throw away!

I made a background from watercolour paper coloured with drawing inks which I stitched together to look like a patchwork background. The samples are all machine stitched to the paper background. There are lutradur leaves which are painted but not heated, a tyvek and fibretex sample, a foil sample and a lutradur skeleton leaf sample.
I am quite pleased with the result but it will probably go into my 'Research for Design' file rather than my 'Machine Embroidery' Collection.

The final sample is made using 'teabag foil' which shrivels when it is heated. This is literally the packaging that surrounds some teabags, last year I used foil crisp packets. You have to experiment because not all foil shrivels when it is heated.
It is based on one of my 1960s plates again but I decided to use this printed fabric as a background to experiment with my machine quilting. It was a very useful exercise in quilting in circles and quite enjoyable. It also produced one of my favourite samples!

No comments:

Post a Comment